Monday, February 11, 2008

Tried To Buy... Success!

I'm not sure why we keep going back to A&B Sound. It must be purely morbid fascination.

Hubby and I finally made it out for this week's new release shopping. We each had a pretty decent list, especially once we included all the titles we haven't been able to find yet. This week I wanted the pick up the new Jack Johnson and Sheryl Crow and I just could not imagine any store would not have those.

I was right. A&B Sound had both the Crow and Johnson on the release wall -- and little else. We were still still without the Bob Mould, the Nada Surf, the Joe Jackson from a few weeks back, and that elusive Magnetic Fields. We did find the last copy of the Vampire Weekend hidden on a listening station shelf.

Having the time, we drove across town to Play, an independent store located in Market Mall. They have a handful of locations in Western Canada, and the store is run by two guys who have been involved in Calgary music retail for decades (full disclaimer: While I have never worked for Play, I previously worked for the brothers who own Play).

We now have the Magnetic Fields. The Bob Mould, the Nada Surf, the Joe Jackson. We also have MGMT, MIA, the new Matt Costa and the Neil Young Live at Massey Hall release -- all titles we were interested in, but not sold on. It's amazing, once you start seeing all the good CDs you wanted to buy, all the ones you weren't sure about suddenly become so much more attractive.

I don't know what we would do without Play in this city.

And I have no idea why we keep going back to A&B Sound, and Best Buy and HMV, when I'd rather give my money to an independent store that actually brings in numerous copies of the stuff I want, at reasonable prices.

0 Comments:

© Blogger Templates | Tech Blog